College of Education and Human Development

Department of Curriculum and Instruction

Visiting scholars

In the spirit of collegiality and to foster the further development of knowledge, we host a limited number of scholars who wish to conduct research in collaboration with our faculty.

Benefits include:

  • Reading and borrowing privileges in the University Libraries
  • Sitting in on courses and seminars (with instructor approval)
  • Participating in the social community of the department
  • Shared office space with access to a computer and printer (if available)

How to apply

We give preference to scholars and researchers who have earned their doctoral degree. We occasionally grant permission to advanced graduate students from other institutions pursuing dissertation research.

    Application steps

    1. Identify an academic contact within the department whose work relates to your research interests.
    2. Write a letter of inquiry to your chosen faculty member. (Please contact only one faculty member).

    The inquiry letter should include:

    • The outline of your proposed research
    • An explanation of why our department and/or your chosen academic contact is the best fit for your proposed research
    • The requested period for your visit
    • Your CV/resume

    If the faculty member is willing to host you, they must contact the department chair for approval.

    If approved, the department chair will send you a letter of invitation after the application has been received, reviewed, and approved. This process may take two to three weeks.

    Required documents

    • A letter indicating home institution approval of leave
    • A signed letter agreeing to self-funding for your time at the University of Minnesota with financial resources outside the University of Minnesota, and financial responsibility for visa processing fees, if a visa is needed
    • Proof of health insurance individually, and for any accompanying family members for the duration of the agreed upon time period (options available through University of Minnesota).
    • J-1 Visa Information for international scholars.