College of Education and Human Development

Department of Curriculum and Instruction

Arts in education additional teaching license

This program is designed for teachers who hold a Minnesota license and want to add an additional license to expand their areas of expertise in their schools in one of the following areas:

  • Visual Arts
  • Dance
  • Theater Arts

About this program


Working teachers can pursue their additional licensure in this full-time, 13-month program that begins in May each year. Coursework is sequential. After you are admitted, you will receive a customized curriculum plan of courses to take in order to be recommended for licensure.

This ensures you get maximum credit for previous academic work and work experiences.

In order to be recommended for your Minnesota k-12 Dance, Theatre, and/or Visual Arts License(s), you must successfully complete these licensure requirements mandated by the state of Minnesota.

This material is available in alternative formats upon request. Direct requests to the Office of Teacher Education at, 612-625-5060.

MEd Option

Pursue the additional license alone or pursue the additional license and MEd Professional Studies in Arts in Education at the same time.

Apply to both the license program and the MEd degree and work with your adviser to plan your coursework to meet both requirements simultaneously.

How to apply

    Application deadline and instructions

    Application Deadlines: The application opens October 1 and closes on January 15. The program starts in May each year.

    Current state of Minnesota teaching license and a Bachelor's degree from an accredited U.S. institution or foreign equivalent with at least a 2.8 GPA.

    Admission decisions are made up to 8 weeks after the application deadline. The number of credits required to complete this program varies based on past coursework, which will be determined after a prerequisite evaluation. Please email for a prerequisite evaluation and to get connected to faculty for more information.

    You can also contact the faculty advisor for the program Betsy Maloney Leaf.

    Tuition and funding

    Tuition varies depending on your degree program, student status, and residency.

    If you are seeking only the certificate, you pay the CEHD departmental master's tuition rate. More cost information is on the CEHD site.

    Application requirements

    Adding a teaching license requires a current Minnesota state teaching license along with a bachelor’s degree from an accredited U.S. institution or foreign equivalent with at least a 2.8 GPA.

    To apply you will need:

    • Unofficial transcripts: Upload your transcripts into the application system; please do not mail your transcripts. Official transcripts are required only after you are admitted. Tips for uploading your transcript(s). Transfer credits must be evaluated and approved by a faculty advisor.
    • Resume: Upload in the Program Supplementary Information -Graduate Program Additional Application section.
    • Educational goal statement: Upload in the Program Supplementary Information section.
    • Current Minnesota teaching license: Upload in the Department\Program Forms section.

    Complete only the following sections:

    • Personal information
    • Application information
    • Educational background
    • Employment/Residence information


    International applicants

    International applicants may also need:

    An English translation of your transcripts, if the transcript is not in English.
    A course by course evaluation may be required.
    TOEFL scores. Official TOEFL scores are required. You may qualify for an exception if you have completed 16 semester or 24 quarter credits within the past 24 months in residence as a full-time student at an accredited institution of higher learning in the United States.

    UMN TOEFL score requirements and submission guidelines

    TOEFL registration and score submission

    Additional admissions information

    Earn your master’s in education

    You can pursue the additional license alone or pursue the additional license and an MEd Professional Studies degree in the same program area concurrently.

    You will need to apply to both the additional license and MEd program and then work with your advisor to plan your coursework to meet both requirements simultaneously. More information on application to the MEd program.

    Contact the program faculty in your area of interest for more information:

    Visual Arts License, Jim Bequette
    Theatre or dance license, Betsy Maloney Leaf
    English as a Second Language license, Sam David
    Math licenses, Terrence Wyberg
    Science licenses, Gillian Roehrig
    World Languages, Sam David


    We’re here to help. Simply complete one of these forms and a member of our department will be in touch.