In the Department of Curriculum and Instruction, we are committed to diversifying the teaching force. Currently, teachers in the Twin Cities and surrounding areas do not reflect the racial and ethnic makeup of their students. We believe that young people should have more teachers who look like them, especially when these teachers have the knowledge and expertise to build on the cultures and identities of their students and promote academic success.
The Teacher Scholars of Color Program (TSoC) is open to all teacher candidates of color in our teacher licensure programs. TSoC provides teacher candidates of color with the following resources:
- A faculty program coordinator for mentorship, support, and advice
- Access to community or school-based mentors of color
- A space to gather with peers to collaborate, connect and celebrate
- Opportunities to attend professional meetings and connect with community organizations that serve youth of color
- Events and activities organized specifically for program participants
- Ask about scholarships to support aspiring teachers of color
If you have any questions about TSoC, please do not hesitate to contact the TSoC Coordinator, J.B. Mayo.